Tuesday 11 January 2011

French Onion Soup

Tonight for dinner I just fancied some hot soup and I decided to make a French onion soup. I do remember that I have made it ages ago and that it didn't taste that much of onion soup, but more experienced and wiser I gave it another go.

For 3-4 persons (depends about size of your soup bowls)

Shopping list
3 White onions
2 Cloves of garlic
Chicken stock (from cube) 600 ml
Sugar
Dry white wine
Butter
Cheese (grated)
(French) bread
Cognac (optional)

Cut the onions roughly.
Take a large sauce pan and put +/- 25 gr. non salted butter until melted
Then put the onions in together with 1 table spoon of sugar
Stir and simmer for 10 minutes until they get a nice brownish colour
Peel and cut the garlic and add to the onions
Then and I'm sure you like that one, pour half a glass of white wine
and 600 ml of stock. Bring it to the boil.
Lower the heat, put the lit on and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes or until onions are soft.
Switch on the grill for the last bit of your soup.
After the soup is ready, you can -optionally- add a little drop of cognac.
I didn't add any salt and pepper in mine.
Then pour the soup in a oven/grill proof bowl, add a piece of french bread or toast,
some grated cheese and put it for a very short while in the grill. Keep on looking....
until brown/melted.

As you can see I didn't put my bowl of soup under the grill because our grill isn't really
that good, so I used the oven which explained the melted cheese but not brown coloured.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment