Monday 31 January 2011

Eton Mess my way

Eton Mess, for the non-Brits some more explanation. This desert normally consists of a mixture of strawberries, pieces of meringue and cream. All the students at Eton College eat this dish after the annual cricket game against students of Winchester College. Throughout the years the recipe has been changed slightly and here was my version of yesterday's Eton Mess.

Shopping list:
Eton Mess with cherries
Cherries or other red fruit (or a mixture of raspberries, black currant, red berries...)
Cream (in my area you cannot get double cream -slagroom- so I use fresh crème d'entière)
Sugar
Meringues (home made or bought at the baker's)
Chocolate sticks

Make sure when you use cherries to remove the stones.
Mix the cream with sugar, until the the texture is firm (you can put it away in the fridge until needed)
Break the meringues to pieces.

Actually you make some layers of fruit, cream and meringues.

In yesterday's Eton Mess I have used cherries from our own tree. I had frozen the cherries and the result was better than I thought it would be.

The picture tells the story.








No comments:

Post a Comment