Thursday 12 January 2012

Leek, Carrot and Potato soup

My husband has the name that he's a real soup liker, easy to please and winter soups are hearthy and easy to make. Today I have made a typical English one, but of course with my own twist. A generous portion for 4 persons.

Shopping list:
250 gr Leeks
300 gr Carrots
300 gr Potatos (I have used small ones, but any will do but as long as they are firm ones)
Vegetable stock (2 cubes or fresh)
50 gr Butter (real one is the best)
Ginger (little bit from root or use powder) *
Garlic (fresh or use powder) *
Fresh herbs (I had parsely and rosemary in garden, so I used that).

Wash and cut in slices the leeks, carrots and potatos.
Melt 50 gram butter in a pan
Add leeks and carrots and stirr regularly for 10 minutes
Then add about 1.5 liter vegetable stock
Add the potatos, the ginger and garlic
Bring it to the boil and lower the heat for about 20 minutes.
Add the fresh herbs
Within 5 minutes I've mashed the soup a bit with the mixer,
but I'd like to see some of the ingredients too in my bowl, so don't do it all.

* I found a ginger/garlic grinder; 2 in 1  but that's probably hard to find.

Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with Sigognaise bread (baguette will do)....
The Sigognaise bread you can only get at our local baker in Sigogne :-)

As you noticed I didn't add salt / pepper.... I'm not so fond of pepper and
with the stock cubes you have to becareful they are quite salty. Of course

it's up to you!

2 comments:

  1. I'd never thought of adding ginger, I must give it a try. We try to replace at least one meal a week with a soup day, it's a good way to keep slim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. I always try to add some different ingredients to give it my own style. Tell me if you liked it when using ginger.

    ReplyDelete